Sunday, November 6, 2011

Blog Assignment #10

Do

Do you teach or do you educate??

I became a education major because 1) I love kids and 2) I want to educate those kids to my fullest potential. I want them to strive to do their best and never give up no matter what life throws in their way. I want my kids to pick up the knowledge and carry it with them rather than memorize and throw it away or forget it. That is what has happened to me. I was taught things and then would forget it and when I needed it for later use it was not their and I had to get it taught to me again. I want my kids to learn and use the information I educate to them always and everyday. I do not want to teach and the kids learn nothing, I would feel like I did not accomplish my duty as being a teacher. I want to us everything I can to have them learn many things and remember them for later use in their life. Here is the link to the video if you care to watch.
Do You Teach or Do You Educate?

Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home!

I love this post. It should be viewed by all. I like that instead of ranting about the problem like some people do and never coming up with a solution, that the entire time he tries to tell how to fix this and gives a solution. I think that is a better way to solve something, especially when it involves children and their education. I say let them bring their pencils home, true they may doodle or play silly games like hang man, but look deeper than it is just the kids being distracted from real work or playing a silly game. When a child doodles, there is a line forming, a line is a part of art, a line makes images to see and think about, a line forms words that are to be studied. For children doodling is something special and beautiful, they learn how to use that line to form things. To some adults, it is ridiculous nonsense and the child isn't learning at all. When a child plays a silly game like hang man they are learning words, words turn into sentences, that turn into paragraphs, that turn into essays, that turn into books and so on. Bring home your pencil kids, and keep doing it. Even if you can do this on technology now days, a pencil will always be needed and children will keep learning. All because of a single line. Here is the link, if you care to take a peek at it.
Don't Let Them take Pencils Home

No comments:

Post a Comment