Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Blog Assignment #5

Teaching Kids



Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
I see what he is saying. Finally. When I was trying to read his blog my eyes kept getting out of focus and made my head hurt. I think technology can overload us and be too much on us at a point. Technology can be very useful yes, but lets not let it run our lives. I do not think kids should just depend on technology when in the classroom. There are many ways to get across what you are trying to get them to learn. Technology is one…of many. I think humans rely too much on technology. I think we should know about technology and how to use it but lets not depend strictly on it. What if all of a sudden technology did not exist?? Think everyone could go about their lives? No, probably not and to me that is a problem.
I found out that Dr. McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He also is the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, and was a co-creator of the wildly popular video series, Did You Know? Who would have thought.

The iSchool Initiative and Zeitgeist Young Mind's Entry by Travis Allen
Wow, that device look like a really interesting useful piece of technology. It looks as if it can really save on money for books and calculators and such. I like that he is taking a step forward and trying to help out our education. I think it is a good idea. My question is though, Will it work correctly? I don't want to depend on this item and it let me down. I want to know before hand i it will work right and if it messes up when I get it can it be fixed or do I have a useless piece of technology now that I spent about 100 dollars on.
I like that he has gotten his idea out in the open and has a team of students working with him going to different school to help out in the education department. Showing everyone how useful this item will be in the future. Having his idea out in the open gives people to see this and help make it work. Give their opinions and also help out with education. I like the idea behind this, but I do not want to strictly depend on it to help with homework and calculations and such. I want a back-up plan.

Jennifer Chamber’s post and Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
That was truly amazing. The fact that they have not met each other and this will be the first time performing together. It was really amazing. I loved it. What a way to use the internet. I would have never thought to even try anything like this at all. That actually inspires me to go out and try something like this with a group of friends. Maybe not singing but something similar with the usage of the internet and video.

Teaching in the 21st Century by Kevin Roberts
I think Robert's thinks teaching means to be engaging not entertaining. He wants teaching to be active, leaning, has long-term results, is meaningful and applicable, solves problems, and uses the creativity of the participant. He does not want it to be entertaining.
I think I have to agree with him. Teaching needs to be engaging not entertaining. Since teachers are no longer the source of knowledge we as teachers need to show children how to use the technology,how to handle to resources out there, how to use the information to help them. Since there will be so much use of technology in the future we need to teach or children how to properly use it and where and when to use it correctly. We need to teach them about technology and everything that comes with. I don't like to depend on technology, but it is good to know how to use it since it will most likely be around for a while.

4 comments:

  1. LeeAnn,
    I love your blog page it's fun and inviting!You made really great points in your posts. I agree with you about Teaching should be engaging not entertainment. I believe you can have some fun and make it enjoyable for the students, but also stayed focused on teaching. The only thing I saw was some sentences becoming run on sentences. Other than that you explained the topics really well. I liked that you gave your full opinion on each topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LeeAnn,

    I am glad that you are very clear when you express how you react to the blog post and the videos that we were assigned for the week. You let your stance be known on each topic. I agree that Travis Allen's iSchool Initiative project relies too heavily on technology. Technology can break easily, and if a student's iTouch stopped working, how would the teachers be able to continue teaching their lesson when the lesson revolves around the use of a working device? I like how you focused on the importance of having a back-up plan in case the technology does not work.

    I noticed that you have some sentences that should be reviewed and fixed. For example, this following sentence has some errors: "He wants teaching to be active, leaning, has long-term results, is meaningful and applicable, solves problems, and uses the creativity of the participant." Other than that, you did a very good job completing the assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed the meaning of Dr. McLeod's post. He was being sarcastic. Look at the closing lines: "...'cause I'm doing all of it with my kids

    can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two

    can you?"

    In other words, keep your kids back. Mine will fly ahead of yours!

    You have copied from Mr. McLeod's About Me page without acknowledging the source and enclosing in quotation marks the passage copied. If you copy and paste more than 5 words without acknowledgement, you have technically committed plagiarism. Plagiarism is a very serious offense. You are not the only person who has done this for this assignment. I will attribute it this time to a lack of understanding about how to avoid plagiarism. It is especially important that anyone entering the teaching profession understands what plagiarism is, avoids it in their personal work, and can teach others about it. The copy and paste world in which we now live makes it very easy to do. Careers can easily be ruined through plagiarism. Watch the Class Blog for additional information and assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The iSchool initiative is something that is extremely useful to students. Some schools have already started using the iSchool. If you want to know if they have a back up plan, you should try to contact one of those schools and see how they are doing.

    If you are interested in doing some group video work, try getting a Google Plus account. This will allow group video chat.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete